Re: [Phys-L] determine k

This brings things back full circle with uncertainties.
In the past, the 3 crank method has been mentioned. On some days it is ok and other days it is unacceptable. Stating measurements or raw data have no uncertainty may be the most accurate. But, I don't see how these conditions (below) can be met at the high school level or college freshmen level and still teach physics.
The lab problem is fairly straight forward.
Determine k & compare.
I can't really spend more than 3 days in lab for determining k. Roughly 1 day of prelab, 1 day of lab (data collection), 1 day post lab. That would be a lot for this lab. Kids that haven't had statistics (and that is not a problem that will change within this timeline).
I understand the conversation has evolved into neat and interesting ways to do a lab along these lines.

I like Joe's method.
It is something that is understandable by first exposure students. It includes some method of addressing variances in data and the fact that two different k values could be the same k value and possibly the same spring (2 groups doing this at different times with the same spring), or not.

Is there a way to do a spring constant lab in 2 or 3 50-minute periods while stating the data are exact (but can account for two different k values possibly being the same k)?
Is there a way to do a spring constant lab in 2 or 3 50-minute periods while stating the data measurements have uncertainty?

Sometimes a conversation loses something through email. I am not stomping my fists. I am enjoying the conversation. I am curious about answers to the two questions immediately prior to this little paragraph.

Have a good one.
Paul.