Re: [Phys-L] What is a Wave?

Gaaaack! It has been pointed out that on 02/07/2015
02:30 PM, I left off the pointer to my new document:
https://www.av8n.com/physics/wave-intro.htm

Sorry for wasting bandwidth.

Some people seem to have found it anyway; it is mentioned
in the table of contents at
https://www.av8n.com/physics/

I collected some resources and some thoughts on the topic
of "What Is a Wave?"

1 Examples and Counterexamples
1.1 Waves
1.2 Non-Waves
2 What is a Wave?
3 What is a Wave Equation?
4 Reflection from an Impedance Mismatch
5 Nonlinearity and Dispersion
6 References

It's a first draft, very incomplete, but still you may
find some bits of it to be useful.

In particular: If anybody has a better definition of
"what is a wave", please let us know! I've seen lots
of definitions, but the simple ones are not good, and
the good ones are not simple.

Also: I would sure like to see a demonstration of a
wave hitting an impedance mismatch /without/ a speed
mismatch. This should not be particularly hard to do
using a Shive-style torsion wave machine. It might
make a nice science-fair project.