Re: [Phys-L] 4 ASU Modeling Workshops this summer (physics, chem); 2 other courses for teachers

Forward from J.J.

bc

January, 2015
ASU Modeling Workshops in Physics and Chemistry.
Arizona State University in Tempe offers four Modeling Workshops (June 8-26, June 15-26, and July 6-24, 2015) for high school physics, chemistry, and physical science teachers. This STEM program can lead to an interdisciplinary Master of Natural Science (MNS) degree.

Modeling Instruction is designated as an Exemplary K-12 science program and a Promising K-12 Educational Technology program by the U.S. Department of Education. It won the "2014 Excellence in Physics Education" award of the American Physical Society.

Two-year-college faculty and pre-service teachers are welcome, too.

Suggested ASU application deadline is May 10, to avoid an ASU late fee.
Details are at http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html .
ASU resident tuition/registration is expected to be about $1900 for a 3-credit course. (Non-resident ~$1100 per credit.) Non-degree registration is easy & quick! (No transcripts needed).

Low-cost apt & family housing can be arranged by Jane Jackson. (In summer 2014, on-campus housing was $400 for 3 weeks; each teacher had a private bedroom.)

FINANCIAL AID:
* We hope to have funding for Arizona teachers to apply for a $1300 tuition scholarship.
Starting in Feb., teachers can download an application form at
http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/MNS.html
(the MNS webpage), and submit it to Jane.Jackson@asu.edu.
* Teachers worldwide can apply to reserve a seat for non-credit (no tuition, they need not apply to ASU). $200 registration fee. CEUs. Limited to 20% of enrollment. Priority to teachers who commit to leadership. Download application form starting in Feb. 2015 (same URL as above).
* Ask local service organizations (Rotary, etc.) for financial support: see
http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/ServiceOrgs-financialHelp.doc
* Degree-seeking teachers can apply for forgivable Stafford loans and TEACH grants, if they teach at a high-poverty school (usually Title I). See
http://modeling.asu.edu/MNS/ASUfinanAid_MNSdegree.htm
* Degree-seeking teachers in 15 western states can apply for in-state tuition, via the WICHE/WRPG agreement. The WRPG deadline to apply is April 1. Download the application at
https://physics.asu.edu/graduate/mns/financial

Questions? Reply to jane.jackson@asu.edu
-------------------------------

Two summer sessions: June and July 2015. ( 3 graduate credits unless otherwise noted)

MODELING WORKSHOPS in 2015:
June 8-26: PHS 530/PHY 480: Methods of Teaching Physics I
(modeling workshop/mechanics. Jeff Steinert, instructor. 8-3:30MTWTh. 8-12 F)
June 8-26: PHS 594/PHY 494: Modeling Workshop in Mechanical Waves & Sound
(Michael Crofton of Minneapolis, MN. 8-3:30 MTWTh. 8-12 F)
June 15-26: CHM 594: Modeling Instruction in High School Chemistry II (2nd semester & AP chem)
(Phil Root. 8-3:30 MTWTh. 8-12 F. 2 credits)
July 6-24: CHM 594/CHM 480: Methods of Teaching Chemistry/Modeling Instruct- HS Chem I
(Russ Shaffer. 8-3:30 MTWTh. 8-12 F at Carl Hayden HS, Phoenix)

OTHER GRADUATE COURSES (in JULY: take 6 credits in 5 weeks)
June 29-July 30: PHS 581/CHM 581: Structure of Matter
(Bob Culbertson. 11:10-2pm MTWTh at ASU-Tempe)
June 29-July 30: PHS 550: Physics & Astronomy
(Carl Covatto. 3:40-6:30pm MTWTh at ASU-Tempe)
Also: PHS 598: Leadership Workshop (1 credit):
(Jim Archambault. alternate Friday afternoons in June & July at ASU-Tempe)
***********************************

Teachers wrote:
* Great chem workshop.
* It was, without a doubt, the single greatest professional development experience of my career.
* ASU's summer program is a national treasure!
* Thanks to taking physics modeling course work, I am highly qualified in physics.
* I learned more about teaching and physics this summer than in 5 years of college!
* I LOVE this program!

Modeling Workshops nationwide in high school physics, chemistry, and biology
(about 60 in 20 states) are described at
http://modelinginstruction.org/workshops-2015 and at http://www.phystec.org/pd .

Each MODELING WORKSHOP has these features:
* aligned with Common Core Math Standards and ELA.
* aligned with Arizona Science & Math Standards
* includes all 8 scientific practices of NRC Framework for K-12 Science Education.
* addresses multiple learning styles.
* addresses naive student conceptions.
* collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking.
* systems, models, modeling.
* coherent curriculum framework, but not a curriculum; thus flexible.
* compatible with Socratic methods, project-based instruction, Cambridge curriculum, etc.
* science & math literacy.
* authentic assessments.
* high-tech and low-tech options for labs.
Models and theories are the purpose and the outcomes of scientific practices. They are the tools for engineering design and problem solving. As such, modeling guides all other practices.

--
peace,
Jane