Re: [Phys-L] widget rate puzzle ... reasoning, scaling, et cetera

On Friday, January 02, 2015 4:22 PM, I wrote:

How about the following? Students frequently have trouble with it.

An ohmic resistor of resistance 10 ohms allows 1 A of current to flow when a voltage of 10 V is applied across it.
What is the resistance of the SAME resistor when a voltage of 100 V is applied across it?

How would you help students who have difficulty with this question?

My purpose was to show that some students tend to interpret any problem that has numbers into a "math" problem that does not involve any interpretation or reasoning. I was hoping that this problem was simple enough to illustrate this.

I asked this forum the following question: "How would you help students who have difficulty with this question?"

Several people responded. I have taken the liberty of extracting a couple of quotes. I apologize in advance if they are too far out of context.