Re: [Phys-L] heat under the hood.... was "physics and potatoes"

On 2015, Jan 14, , at 07:41, Bill Nettles <bnettles@uu.edu> wrote:

Engine compartment temp and manifold temp does have a small effect, but all in all, the color of water hoses is a zero sum game, thermodynamically. Now aesthetically, some people love chrome, some love black, others want to match the paint color, and most of us don't care.

I think to obtain the desired physical and thermal properties of hi-temp water hoses, black is necessarily concomitant.

Carbon black is added and I suspect hit-temp vulcanization also turns latex black.

bc imagines tygon water hoses.