Re: [Phys-L] ill-posed questions; was: potatoes

On 01/13/2015 10:38 AM, Dan Beeker e:
I must throw in my two bits worth. I have encountered many such
questions as a student and as an instructor. I generally found them
to be confusing and frustrating because 1. The instructor didn't just
come out and say the question is meant to be a discussion question
and 2. The instructor did not say there may not be an exact, i.e.
right or wrong answer. This put me in a position of wondering is
there an acceptable answer? Then I would ask the teacher - what is
the correct answer with a response of "I don't know." or "I can't
tell you." I would spend so much time wondering what an appropriate
response to the question would be I would miss important parts of the
lesson that followed. I suppose one should always be on guard for ill
posed or open ended questions questions but somewhere along the line
it is really helpful to the student to be given some guidance as to a
correct/i.e. reasonable response. There's nothing wrong with saying
it is an ill posed question from the git go.

Amen, brother.

This is a super-important thing to discuss in this forum.

If a student is constantly wondering "is this a discussion question"
or "is it learn a rote task question" the student will often be
focusing on the wrong aspect of the material being presented. I see
it all the time in teaching our lab courses. In short, be careful how
you present such questions as well as be explicit in explaining your
answers (or lack thereof). Confusion is not always the student's
fault.

Students are not born knowing how to handle ill-posed
questions. It is an acquired skill. It has to be taught.

Everybody says that the most valuable outcome of the
physics course is the reasoning skills (not the low-
level physics factoids) -- but all too often the reasoning
skills are taught poorly or not at all.

The International Baccalaureate curriculum has a separate
course on Theory of Knowledge (ToK) ... which is IMHO a
tremendous mistake. Reasoning is not something you can
sprinkle on afterwards, like powdered sugar on a donut;
it has to be baked in, like the carrots in carrot cake.
This starts in first grade, with basic principles such
as CHECK THE WORK, and learning to ask "Do you think
that big cat is telling the truth?"

Reasoning should be baked into every course, not just
physics, but especially physics. Somehow the physics
teacher is expected to teach reasoning plus remedial
math plus technical writing plus all the physics. It's
not fair, but we're stuck with it.

On this list, lots of people know what they're doing.
When they see an ill-posed problem, they recognize it
as such, and immediately find ways to transmute it into
the question(s) that /should have been asked/.
https://www.av8n.com/physics/ill-posed.htm

However, all evidence indicates that people who know
how to handle (or even recognize) ill-posed questions
are the exception not the rule.

It would be nifty if the book explained how to handle
ill-posed questions, but it doesn't. It's fine to have
some ill-posed questions in the book; that's not the
problem. My point is that the questions are not handled
properly. I don't know what is worse, the paucity of
good analyses or the prevalence of bad analyses.