From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Bernard Cleyet
Sent: Tuesday, 13 January, 2015 12:25 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] physics and potatoes

On 2015, Jan 13, , at 06:11, Bill Norwood <bnorwood111@gmail.com> wrote:

I suspect the convection doesn't matter much, since the foil is a
conductor of huge effective diameter and of 2 or 3/1000" length. The
convection effect would be virtually the same without the foil
especially if tightly wrapped.

I suspect a smooth surface has less contact area w/ the air so if the foil is smoother than the potato it would “convect” less.

Also, it loosely wrapped, the air space will act as insulation.

bc thinks best if the potato is not tightly wrapped for “conserving” the "heat”.