Re: [Phys-L] Late Physics Learner -

Greetings,

This is directed to Todd Pedlar and to all of you. While my comment is only from one person, I believe my questions and comments need feedback from others as I am curious where other stand on Paul Hewitt Conceptual high school physics program.

My comments are interspersed within Todd's "My unsolicited two cents."

May I first ask, Todd how many years have you taught High School Conceptual Physics? To what student age group? Did you use the video's, next time questions, laboratory guide, do demonstrations etc?

I taught the course for 10 years to non-math orientated students who desired to learn about the Physics world around them. Students worked hard, learned a lot and came to appreciate much physics in the world around them. I used a lot of demonstrations (I have over 500 in my inventory.) If you so desire, go to my website listed below and select the column title 'Conceptual Physics' to see what I used for the course.

(For my part, I think Hewitt is an awful suggestion.)

What is your definition of 'awful'? This in my opinion is a very harsh comment.

(Hewitt, for all the desire to be "conceptual", cuts so many corners)

What corners does he cut? Enlighten me on 10 corners cut and the reference page numbers.

(as to foster misconceptions of physics,)

Give me 10 'misconceptions fostered' and page numbers.

(in addition to the many outright erroneous statements embedded in the text.)

I would greatly appreciate with page number the 'many outright erroneous statements embedded in the text'

(The desire for conceptual focus is no excuse for sloppiness or loose language)

Again, I would like to have 10 examples of 'sloppiness or loose language' with page numbers.

(admittedly, a good conceptual text is an incredibly hard thing to put together well,)

To this comment I applaud what you say. If you select the 'more' column on my website you will find the self-paced physics PSSC physics program I wrote and taught for 15 years. I know how hard it is and I'm sure some errors exist after 15 years of usage.

(but Hewitt's text is a failure)

What is your definition of failure. Based on no specific examples, and my own experience, I cannot come to that conclusion.

(If this person for whom a text recommendation is being sought is a holder of an advanced degree of some kind, then I suspect PSSC is a very solid choice,)

Having taught both High School Conceptual Physics (10) years and PSSC Physics (15) years, what my experience says, differs from your recommendation.

(while Hewitt would in many ways be something of an insult to offer.)

My, my what a final comment. While no program is perfect, Conceptual Physics and PSSC physics are worthy texts but Conceptual Physics would provide the best starting with many many more real world examples than PSSC.

Who am I? Check the 'welcome' column which tells all about my education, teaching experience etc covering 54 years.

Much, much more than 2 cents worth of comments.

Now, what do I need to hear?

Dick

Helping teachers who facilitate, motivating students who learn.
Dick Heckathorn 14665 Pawnee Trail Middleburg Hts, OH 44130 440-710-4941
New Web Site: www.rheckathorn.weebly.com
Retired Physics Teacher - Wharton, Midpark, Cuyahoga Valley Christian High Schools
Baldwin Wallace Univ and Merchant Taylor School – Crosby England
Physics is learning how to communicate with ones environment so that it will talk back