Re: [Phys-L] Late Physics Learner

I agree. Every book has errors. I find the PSSC book confusing and hard to
read. Most people can't learn physics from a book -- any book. There needs
to be some engagement/interaction with someone else. Most physics books
are poorly written and turn off many students.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:

I don't know why everyone is so anti-Hewitt. The man is an excellent
teacher and his book is very well done... I used it the first time I ever
taught physics with an ESL student back in the early '90's and the young
lady understood everything very well. She went on to study engineering
at Drexel, but I lost contact so I don't know how she did in her first
year physics there.

Later, we used the text in an experimental tv satellite course in
cooperation with Kentucky educational tv. They broadcast the course from
a tv studio taught by one of their best teachers, over their satellite
feed to a national audience in some twenty states and several hundred
students. Each school that subscribed bought the books used along with
Hewitt's workbook and lab manual. We also had lab materials to follow
along with the other schools as the teacher demonstrated the work. This
was long before anyone ever heard of YouTube or computer based courses.

So, I, along with thousands of others say, "Thank You Paul Hewitt and
don't listen to those nay-sayers."

Marty