Re: [Phys-L] Late Physics Learner

On 2015, Jan 02, , at 17:56, Richard Heckathorn <geepaw@wowway.com> wrote:

Greetings, I would start with the book by Paul Hewitt, The high school version of conceptual physics.and even better start would be watching the 34 videos that Paul has put together. I wonder if there someplace that this person could borrow them. Happy new year to everyone. My website listed below might have some valuable things for her.

Have a Great Day

Website rheckathorn.weebly.com

JD and I disagree, [ http://www.av8n.com/physics/hewitt.htm ] I (and John) suggest the PSSC text, and its accompanying lab. book.

"2. PSSC (Uri Haber-Schaim, John H. Dodge, James A. Walter)
Physics
Exceptional, epochal high school physics text.

A review in The Textbook Letter (May-June 1992) called this “an outstanding and inspiring book, strongly recommended” and “the best high-school physics textbook that we have seen.”http://www.textbookleague.org/32pssc1.htm

This book is for people who want to understand the material. In contrast, the general herd of textbooks seem to merely go through the motions of covering the material, allowing people to check off the little boxes that say “we covered this” and “we covered that”.
This book has remarkably good “quality control”. That is, you can generally believe what it says. Textbooks in the general herd are riddled with errors and misconceptions.
I recommend that everyone who teaches introductory physics should read this book, and keep a copy in the classroom as a reference, for the use of teacher and students alike."

http://www.av8n.com/physics/books.htm

http://www.compadre.org/portal/pssc/pssc.cfm

bc