Re: [Phys-L] widget rate puzzle ... reasoning, scaling, et cetera

A good ranking task might be just the ticket here. Give them one where many
answers are the same, but a few are different. There are now published
ranking tasks for E&M.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

It is quite likely that students having problems with this
are too focused on the algebraic equation...Ohm's
Law...without much understanding of what the three quantities
in that equation actually are.

I'd be careful to introduce and discuss current, resistance,
and voltage thoroughly before introducing Ohm's Law. I will
have my classes come up with an equation for the resistance
of an object through analogy and
simple reasoning. They will even come up with the idea of
temperature
dependency (which we then say we usually ignore!) But at
this point, sans the temperature component, the resistance of
a given object (yes, between two specified points) is fixed
by its geometry and material.

With that idea firmly in place, students may be less likely
to try and solve for the resistance as V/I and then be
befuddled because they don't know that the current is.

To be honest though, I've never actually used the question
below in quizzing, so not sure how my groups would have fared.

rwt

How about the following? Students frequently have trouble
with it. An
ohmic resistor of resistance 10 ohms allows 1 A of current to flow
when a voltage of 10 V is applied across it. What is the
resistance of
the SAME resistor when a voltage of 100 V is applied across it? How
would you help students who have difficulty with this
question? Philip
Keller wrote:
They are already functioning at the edge, not completely
convinced that thinking is a way to find things out.
When formulating your answer, keep PK's quote in mind.

Richard Tarara
Professor Emeritus
Saint Mary's College

free Physics educational software
NEW: Energy management simulators now available.