From: Philip Keller
Date:01/02/2015 8:22 AM (GMT-06:00)
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] widget rate puzzle ... reasoning, scaling, et cetera

In terms of this question's usefulness as an educational exercise, you
really have to know your audience. I teach some students who can solve
this kind of question with ease, making all of the necessary assumptions
that you need to get the official answer. These students would enjoy
thinking about the variations and assumption-challenging that you
present here.

On the other hand, such questions were probably contrived (yes,
contrived -- not real world) to provide an exercise in proportional
thinking. I teach some students who struggle with this and who need to
be supported, step-by-step, week after week. If you present these
variations to these students, you run the risk of them throwing up their
hands in surrender. They are already functioning at the edge, not
completely convinced that thinking is a way to find things out.

Still, I am enjoying this thread. Now I am picturing a machine that
makes widgets by filling trays with goop that needs nearly 5 minutes to
set into a widget. The machine has room to fill up to 100 trays...