Re: [Phys-L] Invention and marketing needed by next Christmas - Candles

Interesting discussion.

I was wondering, what is the oldest evidence of a controlled fire? When
did humans first use fire? I realize there may be limited evidence around
(cave art?), but I was just wondering. We take fire for granted. I imagine
the humans who first saw it (perhaps from a lightning strike?) were in awe.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
Thanks BC.

Every once in a while we need little reminders that we are actually human
beings and not dogmatically programmed automatons. I have to laugh when I
visit friends who have "stoves" that operate by quartz heaters and have a
projected "flame" that makes them look "real" (actually they just look
tacky). To me, there's nothing like occasionally putting real logs in the
fireplace and feeling the warmth of real fire. Humans learned how to
control fire eons ago - it seems inhuman to watch fireplaces on TV or
feel the unreal heat of quartz stoves.

The white glare of an LED will never replace the warm light of a real
candle or the feel of wax dripping down your hand.

Regards -

Bob
(was Bob at PC before I retired)