[Phys-L] glow-in-the-dark plant

I don't know whether this counts as
-- interesting
-- insane
-- geeky
-- scary
-- all of the above.

It's not available today, but it might make a good Christmas
present next year, for the nerd who has everything:

A rockcress plant, genetically modified to glow in the dark:
http://www.glowingplant.com/

It's an /open source/ plant. The DNA sequence is open to all,
and the plant is not patented.

More generally: I reckon biotechnology will be to the next
50 years as electronics was to the last 50 years.

I mention it in this forum because it's an answer to the kid
who asks why he should bother to study science. There's
still lots of interesting work to be done.