[Phys-L] David Deutch on Richard Feynman

Hi,

I suppose quite many in this list know about David Deutch, a quantum physicist working at Oxford University. He recently told an interesting story about his meeting with Richard Feynman in Sam Harris' interview:

<http://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/surviving-the-cosmos> (the story is at the very end starting at 1.48:30)

Deutch recounts how he started to explain his work on quantum computation, but Feynman stopped him and wanted to work it out by himself. He did this within minutes, although it had taken Deutsch months of work. Deutch was utterly amazed. Incidentally, both had had John Wheeler as their thesis supervisor.

BTW, Deutch is a proponent of many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics but this I do not buy unless I there is empirical evidence which cannot be explained with "classical" quantum field theory.

Regards,

Antti Savinainen, PhD
Finland

Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.
Tarkastuksesta huolimatta noudata asianmukaista varovaisuutta liitetiedostoja avatessasi.