Re: [Phys-L] textbook prices

On 12/16/2015 09:08 PM, Daniel V. Schroeder wrote:

I would be especially interested to learn of other examples
of self-published books that are being used as texts outside the authors' institutions.

I assume "self-published" isn't the issue; I assume pricing is the
real issue, as expressed elsewhere in the message.

Also I assume "published" includes online. Some (albeit not all)
students prefer ebook format to dead-trees format.

Also I assume we should (mostly) restrict attention go /good/ books.
There are a bunch of really lousy books out there (at every price
point, low or high).

Also I assume we should (at least for the moment) restrict attention
to physics texts.

Some examples include:

*) http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

The Feynman Lectures on Physics

Free for all to read online, but not public domain, not licensed
for download.

Be that as it may, you can buy the hardcopy books for ≤ $40.00 apiece.
That's not free, but it's a lot better than paying $400.00 for a much
lower-quality product.

The three books don't contain end-of-chapter exercises, but
exercises are available separately.

*) http://www.lightandmatter.com/

Introductory physics texts at four different levels.
The site also has books on more advanced physics topics (e.g.
relativity) and other topics (e.g. math).

*) https://openstaxcollege.org/textbooks/college-physics

introductory, algebra-based, two-semester college physics book.
The site also has books on many other topics.

*) https://www.edx.org/course/subject/physics

Dozens of entire courses.
Some self-paced, some not.