Re: [Phys-L] aerodynamics or style?

On 2015, Dec 14, , at 11:24, Roger Haar <haar@physics.arizona.edu> wrote:

Hi,

In some ancient memory, I recall that some rule of thumb
that if you can not "close" the air at the trailing edge of
whatever object one is designing, one should just truncate
the object so it is out of the dirty air. Such a car is
said to have a Kammback style. (Thanks Wikipedia)

The Prius and Insight shown have rounded 1/4 panels, however, the “competition” car and the Citroen, sl., have sharp 1/4 panels. I suppose an “ideal” car would have narrowing horizontally to half width and then the sharp cutoff.

bc had read about the half to cut off as a compromise, but w/o a name.