From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Ludwik
Kowalski
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 2:15 PM
To: phys-L new
Subject: [Phys-L] About My Hearing Aids REmote Control

Dear friends,

My essay about Hearing Aids, at:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/hearaids5.htm

does not contain the description of the remote control. What follows is the
beginning of an essay about that remote control, composed last week.

The Remote Control For My Hearing Aids

A note for myself (11/28/2015)

1) Introduction

This is a description of “Easy Pocket”-- the remote control device for my
digital hearing aids (HAs), manufactured by Siemens. I am happy it as well.
The device, operated by two AAA batteries, is nearly 4 inches high, two
inches wide and 1/2 inches thick. The name SIEMENS is displayed at the
bottom of the front side. The device came with a User Guide. Page four of
that guide shows a small screen, at the top of the front side, and three
buttons below it. The top button is labeled P, the two smaller buttons,
below it, are labeled +, and -. The purpose of the remote is to control the
HA settings. Two parameters must be set, the program (by pressing the P
button) and the sound’s volume (by pressing either the + or the - button).

2) Controlling Sound Parameters

Each of my HAs contains only two programs: #1, named “UNIVERSAL,” and #2
named “NOISY”. One of them must be active at any given time, when the HAs
are used. Suppose #1 is active. In that case by pressing the P button I
would see the word UNIVERSAL on the screen. Suppose I then press the P
button again. In that case the word NOISY appears on the screen and #2
becomes active, instead of the previously active #1. This shows how easy it
is to replace one program by another. Program #1, by the way, also becomes
automatically active when the top right side control button of the remote,
called “home” is pressed, as explained in 3) below.

3) Default Settings and Control Buttons

Selecting the default setting also automatically selects the so-called
“average loudness (volume),” That volume, by the way, was initially chosen
by the audiologist, according to my individual needs. I can then select
either a higher or a lower volume (in several steps), by pressing the + or
the - buttons, below the screen.

And what happens in the HAs when one of the two control buttons, on the
upper right side, is pressed? It depends on how the remote was initially
programmed by the audiologist. In my case the upper button was programmed to
set the HAs to the “default” (home) conditions, while the lower right side
button, named ”mute,” was programmed to turn the HAs on or off. I do not
plan on muting my HAs. But I will use the “home” button to reset them into
original conditions (Program #1 and average volume) while wearing them.

4) Additional Tasks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Send me a private message and I will send you the entire essay, as an
attached MSWORD file.

Ludwik Kowalski (See Wikipedia)