[Phys-L] Overreacting to a safety concern - or not

Bill Norwood <bnorwood@physics.umd.edu>
4:36 PM (2 minutes ago)

to tap-l, Phys-L
Hi Dave,

Since you recently raised on Tap-L the issue about possible excess concern
about safety issues, I will just bounce the following off you.

But first, just in case this is arguably off-topic, I will have just made
all of us aware of a potential concern, but I will not post or respond to
any more about this topic here on Tap-L. Please look for any discussion on
Phys-L, cc'd here. If I had confined this discussion to Phys-L, then not
all of you would have become aware of it.

If at your university or college you had received a notice such as the one
below, about the Umpqua Community College shooting incident, what would you
do, if you were the instructor, apart from getting your cell phone
registered?

I am having trouble figuring out just how responsive I should be to this
safety notice, but let me first ask how you would respond, but beware, this
is not a comprehensive list of questions, and some of the questions may be
wrong-headed.

Would you develop a plan with your students about safest egress from the
classroom?

Would you prohibit the placement of backpacks etc in the pathways between
the lab benches and in the isles in the lab room?

If the classroom has a back door would you insure that that it stayed
unlocked and that students got instructed that they could use it?

If the classroom did not have a back door would you see to it that one got
installed?

Would you insure that none of the pathways out of the classrooms had become
narrowed by cabinets etc?

Would you make sure that all students knew how to operate the top and
bottom door bolts so that both doors of a double door could be open so that
the maximum number of students per second could exit the classroom, so that
students would less likely trample each other?

Would you go to the trouble of identifying any student(s) who had relevant
experience with guns and law enforcement and then taking advantage of that
experience?

Would you designate a student experienced in law enforcement to suggest or
direct the movements of students until police arrived?

Do you think the U of MD Police notice below is alarmist?

Many thanks for any responses on Phys-L.

Bill Norwood
U of MD at College Park

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 6:00 PM, UMD Alerts <conf-1889470551@everbridge.net>