Re: [Phys-L] overdamping

Okay yes, after I hit SEND I started thinking along those lines.

That means the stopping time goes like 2m/b. Big viscosity or little mass makes it faster to stop.

So the story for big m is that although it oscillates with more difficulty, that is more than made up for by the extra difficulty viscosity has in stopping the object.

Just to really nail it, without going through the math, is there an intuitive way to see what I just said: viscosity increases in difficulty (to stop a mass) FASTER than the spring increases in difficulty (to oscillate the mass) as the MASS of the object increases? I know both increase in difficulty. Without doing math, could you have intuitively predicted that the spring wins out over the viscosity as the mass increases such that the oscillations become more (rather than less) underdamped? -Carl

ps: Is ajm@cpp.edu <mailto:ajm@cpp.edu> a new email address for you? I think you used to have a different one… or am I remembering incorrectly?