Re: [Phys-L] Quantum Biology

  As in any discussion, we need to define first the used concepts. I understand the concept of model as a theoretical construct with some postulates not contradicting the experiment, and their logical consequences obtained in the framework of existing theory.    I agree that a model can include a postulated parameter. My only point was as follows: suppose we accept, without going into details, the model of the proton as a particle of radius 1F; and similar for the electron with its classical radius e^2/mc^2, even though this radius is not manifest in any known experiments (therefore, the electron is actually considered today as a point particle). Either way, no known classical theory can explain the existence of Hy atom with its size 10^5 F. This size had been determined from the experimental evidence, not from the classical theory. Under given assumptions, classical model admits the only possible outcome for the final bound state with the lowest energy - the electron merged together with the proton. At best, that would be an object with the size about 2F. And if we accept both - p and e - as point particles, then yes, the classical theory does require the Hy atom to be a point particle. All attempts to still incorporate the observed atomic radius into the classical model to make it work have been fruitless - it did not work. That was one of the reasons for the emergence of QM.    Moses Fayngold
NJIT