[Phys-L] Avian visual acuity, etc.

Enjoying coffee at the Carmel Toasting Co. in Pacific Grove, I noticed two rather aggressive pigeons eating off the floor. This prompted the thought that they have very good near acuity.

The wiki. below calls them two eyes w/ wings. Much more in the Wiki. such as: many birds have a second fovea for better peripheral vision, eye similar to lizards (More evidence of evolution from dynos.), an extra transparent “eyelid” (I suspect to protect from air junk while flying.(1)), as much as 5X number of “sensors” as us, and more nerves. (Just more sensors would only increase sensitivity --not acuity.), and, related to what prompted my search, birds' ciliary muscles are more effective than ours.

Bird vision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_vision

bc highly recommends reading the Wiki., and once was a consultant with an intraocular lens mfg.

(1) will dogs evolve one?