Re: [Phys-L] foundations of physics: Galilean relativity

Thanks for the clarification, Moses. I clearly did not understand you correctly. Furthermore, you were right and I was wrong. My intuition told me that the kick a little planet would give a photon would be so small that even after a couple of years the deflection would be a fraction of a meter. Just a little reflection shows that to be wrong and the calculation shows that for a planet with the properties of Mercury, the photon drops about .8 planet diameters in 2 years. Thanks for making me think about it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Moses
Fayngold
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2015 10:15 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] foundations of physics: Galilean relativity

On Monday, October 5, 2015 1:46 PM, Jeffrey Schnick
<JSchnick@Anselm.Edu> wrote:

...If I understand them correctly, John and Moses both think that the
acceleration of the photon is the same as that >which a particle at the original
position of the photon would experience meaning that as the photon gets
farther >and farther from the planet, the photon's acceleration remains
constant at its original value in its original direction.  >That makes no sense to
me.

  To me, too. I've never said that  "...as the photon gets farther and farther
from the planet, the photon's acceleration remains constant at its original
value in its original direction". Nor did I mean it. We all must be very careful
about numerous conditions and assumptions (especially unspoken ones!)
accompanying our argument. I do think that acceleration of the photon in the
gravity field is the same as that of any other particle at the same time and
location. Therefore I think that acceleration of the photon pair right after the
e-p annihilation is exactly the same as that of the initial pair, provided that
the separation between its members had been negligible.  Only under the
latter condition can we equate individual accelerations to that of the CM. This
is what I meant (but had not explicitly formulated) in my previous argument.
This statement about the discussed event at specified location in spacetime
remains true and is experimentally manifest as deviations of the born
photons' trajectories from their initially horizontal and strictly opposite
directions. My second point was that already this initial deviation creates the
corresponding transverse components of velocity (turns the photons'
directions through a small angle), and as a result, their CM in 2Y will definitely
be sufficiently far displaced from its initial position, even without any
subsequent acceleration (which will indeed be increasingly
negligent).     Unfortunately, I cannot say exactly how far does it make
"sufficiently far". It critically depends on numerous conditions, including the
size of the planet. But on conceptual level, I think the following example
must be true: Suppose it would take 1s for the initial e-p pair to fall onto the
surface of the planet if there were no annihilation. Annihilation with
horizontal momenta of the produced photons would save the system from
hitting the surface (or from crossing the Schwarzschild sphere in case of a
black hole). But I think that 2Y after the event the CM of the photon pair
must be far on the opposite side of the planet, even though the pair's CM
would surely have no noticeable acceleration. But it would still have the initial
transverse velocity acquired during the first 1s of the process.   Moses
__
Forum for Physics Educators
Phys-l@www.phys-l.org