Re: [Phys-L] "Climate science is not settled"

Since you ask, David, I will offer an opinion.
I recall this as the second topic brought to life on this list by a person with a scientific background and strong governmental/political affiliations. When faced with an opinion piece in the press that is not subject to the usual rigors of peer review, I do not believe that the judgment of a theoretical nuclear physicist should be treated with quite the same authority on a question of evolutionary climatology, as people who work in that field. For example, I am not convinced that the increase in Antarctic sea-ice contra-indicates the Climatic Change theory's evidential observation of a decrease in Arctic glaciation - indeed, I suppose, in my relative ignorance of the topic, that they may point to a similar cause. I am heartened, in my general ignorance of the dynamics, that practical resources of sulphate injection into the atmosphere may be able to provide some climate palliation at the cost of a hasty return to the conditions of the dismal city-scapes of smoking stacks. I will finally say my opinions are clouded by the State initiatives in both Oklahoma and Texas to punish users of wind turbines and solar panels with new taxes, which seem to go against the ruling political policy substrates in those places.

Brian Whatcott