Re: [Phys-L] quality of life +- "usable" space ... was: new physics lab construction

On 2014, Sep 29, , at 13:13, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

> It's misleading to call the core "unusable" space.
> -- It gets used for storage.
> -- It gets used for noisy vacuum pumps.
> -- It gets used for routing utilities.  Suppose you want
>  to upgrade the networking from nothing to twisted pair to
>  10base5 to 10baseT to 100baseT to optical.  With a core
>  this a *lot* easier.  Been there, done that.

Yes!

The “mechanical chase”  in Natural Sciences II (three floors) had in it:  the
LAN router**, the blower for the air tracks (great way to avoid the noise) and
much much storage, besides all the utilities. (in the third floor some vac.
pumps)

**When computing and telecom. services upgraded, I inherited it for our
advanced Lab LAN.

bc’s office / prep. room and lab. was just across the hall** from the door and
he was the only building occupant with a key.

**Only my office not next to the chase on that floor.  All other labs on all
floors next to the chase.