Re: [Phys-L] gravity along a chord

I haven't a clue whether this has been done in AJP, though I suspect it has.

There is no need to consider mass "above" the chord at all (if by this you
mean mass outside the radius of the particular location on the chord) - it
is only necessary to consider the mass "below" the chord (inside the radius
of the particular location on the chord).  You can determine by this the
magnitude of the gravitational force on the sled/train/car/object that's
travelling in the chord at any given point along the chord - you'll need to
determine the relationship between r and delta x, the displacement measured
from the center of the chord.  You'll then find, through simple
trigonometry that the along-the-chord component of the force has the form
of a simple harmonic oscillator force - it looks like a negative constant
times delta x - so that delta x is the relevant independent variable.
Gravity does "assist" in this way (and interestingly the calculated period
of the motion will be the same as that for the tunnel through the center of
the Earth (and that for an orbit of a satellite at just above the Earth's
surface, too, ignoring air resistance).  Naturally in all this one has to
posit a chord-tunnel that has slippery insides such that there are no or
negligible frictional losses.

If the chord is only 2 miles deep, the "gravitational assist" force along
the chord will be quite small, though - but it is calculable and finite.

Todd