Re: [Phys-L] error in Feynman § I-50-5 : wave energy "theorem"

John

I don't have an answer to your question. I have a question.

I believe many of us endeavor to teach in a constructivist manner.
That is, we build on the material taught in junior courses and teach
in a manner that leaves the door open for future course to build on
what we taught. Is "energy proportional to the wave amplitude" stated
in FLP a reasonable simplification for the level of the student FLP is
endeavoring to educate? From another perspective, does the 'correct'
answer for the energy of all waves simplify to "energy proportional to
the wave amplitude" for the conditions in FLP?

Thanks,
Dr. Roy Jensen
Lecturer, Chemistry
E5-33F, University of Alberta