[Phys-L] Electrolysis under Pressure

* /From/: Bernard Cleyet <bernardcleyet@redshift.com
<mailto:bernardcleyet%40redshift.com>>
* /Date/: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 12:50:05 -0700

A friend has reverted to childhood by wishing to make balloon bombs using
electrolysis of waster. I suggested that compression of the gasses would
"slow" the electrolysis due to the Le Chatelier principle.

My analysis is an additional electrical energy is necessary to do the integral
P dV.

No?, yes? off the beam?

bc

p.s. Since my comment: his cell is a mason jar w/ a gas feed thru and
electrical feed thrus in the lid. Inflates a large "toy" balloon "nicely".
Very loud pop when he torches the balloon.

My guess would be no extra energy requirement: Faraday chose the ionic transfer of elements as an absolute measure of current: the evolved gas would simply take up a smaller volume.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Indian territory.