[Phys-L] How to become a good theoretical physicist?

Hello,

I don't know how to become a good theoretical physicist but there are people who do. One of the most prominent might be a Nobel prize winner Gerard 't Hooft who has put together a website for those aspiring to learn theoretical physics on their own (I have had a few such students). The following is taken from Hooft's introduction:

"But what if you are still young, at School, and before being admitted at a University, you have to endure the childish anecdotes that they call science there? What if you are older, and you are not at all looking forward to join those noisy crowds of young students?

It should be possible, these days, to collect all knowledge you need from the internet. Problem then is, there is so much junk on the internet. Is it possible to weed out those very rare pages that may really be of use? I know exactly what should be taught to the beginning student. The names and topics of the absolutely necessary lecture courses are easy to list, and this is what I have done below."

I would like to think that we can teach more in HS than "the childish anecdotes that they call science" :-).

Regards,

Antti Savinainen, PhD
Finland

Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.