[Phys-L] pressure and electrolysis

A friend has reverted to childhood by wishing to make balloon bombs using electrolysis of waster. I suggested that compression of the gasses would “slow” the electrolysis due to the Le Chatelier principle.

My analysis is an additional electrical energy is necessary to do the integral P dV.

No?, yes? off the beam?

bc

p.s. Since my comment: his cell is a mason jar w/ a gas feed thru and electrical feed thrus in the lid. Inflates a large “toy” balloon “nicely”. Very loud pop when he torches the balloon.