Re: [Phys-L] Spins First

I expect I have mentioned making a proton spin precession magnetometer many years ago which, given a fairly uniform undisturbed geomagnetic field, demonstrated the evanescent audio frequency e-m signal around 2 kilohertz which indicates the relaxation of the water sample in a small plastic bottle when the E-W magnetic solenoid field in it was removed. One of the few absolute measures of the geomagnetic field, as it happens. The idea of a spinning top precessing however over-simplified, was not in any way mysterious to my youthful mind.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Indian Territory.