Re: [Phys-L] superposition and interference

There is a difference in usage. One sees the terms "constructive
interference" or "destructive interference", but I have never seen
"constructive superposition". I would say the terms have idiomatic
differences in usage although they refer to the same thing. I suspect that
interference has more meaning to students than superposition. Another
example might be "interference fringes" while "superposition fringes" would
never be used. Interference by itself can also conjure up the idea of
cancellation, while superposition is more neutral on the subject.

The idea that interference is what you observe, but superposition is what is
going on might be part of the distinction. One can talk about interference
of two wave pulses. Superposition might just refer to the math.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

When discussing waves in introductory university physics is
there an important distinction to be made between the terms
"superposition" and "interference?"

It seems to me that superposition is a principle concept and
interference is a descriptor of the phenomenon when
superposition happens, but there's not a big reason to draw
any kind of "line" between the two. Waves superpose; waves interfere.

Maybe superposition is the more general of the two terms and
is something which is always happening. Would one reserve
"interference" to a pseudo-steady-state behavior that we see
in double-slits, diffraction gratings, and standing waves?