Re: [Phys-L] types of mechanical waves

On 2014, May 30, , at 16:18, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

1) The details are complicated.

2) OTOH I'm not sure the details are important. Even if
the distinctions are correct, I'm not sure the distinctions
are worth emphasizing.

The alternative is to de-emphasize the distinctions and
adopt the view "if you've seen one wave you've seen 'em all."

I add: At least five types of seismic waves. Curiously wikip. (several sites) calls the S and P waves primary and secondary (not respectively).

Seismic wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_wave#Primary_waves

explains why.

bc interested in seismology for horological reasons.

p.s. I couldn’t find it: thought S and P referred to German words.