Re: [Phys-L] solar constant

There are two easily internet-accessible low-cost experiments: both of them use a weighed mass of water's change of state as a heating measure.
The first uses a foam cup half filled with water which is frozen, then equilibrated to 0degC and drained before being irradiated onto a black disk cover (a second cup with a silver disk is used as a differential sample.) The amount of water melted is weighed. (This write-up is a rerun of Eaton, DeGeer, Freir Pysics & Astronomy, U Minn (1977) thanks to Greenslade at Kenyon as Column editor of The Physics Teacher

http://tinyurl.com/pmyksr7

The second method described by Wolfe at U New South Wales, Sydney Aus. (with several other experiments) uses a measured mass of water in an aluminum foil tray painted black, preferably of known initial temperature, and timed to the point of total evaporation.

http://tinyurl.com/oyu28lc

You would expect them to show a surface constant around 700 Watts/meter squared.

Sincerely

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Indian Territory.