[Phys-L] under pressure

My chemistry colleague sent me this link -- good for fluids discussion.
They shake/open a can of soda in a pressurized (2.5 atm) module deep in
the ocean, and it doesn't "explode."

[ http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJiUWBiM8HE
]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EJiUWBiM8HE

I think normal (gauge) pressure in a soda can is 3-4 atm, depending on
temperature. So I guess the pressure outside the can, now 2.5 times more
that at sea level, is enough to make this demo work. I don't think their
brief explanations at the end are correct.

I am also wondering how thick the metal in these modules are, and is the
air inside pressurized so they have enough oxygen to breathe for a long
time?