Re: [Phys-L] voltage rise/drop terminology

When I see "source" I think of a spigot with something flowing out. When I see "sink" I think of a drain with something disappearing. When teaching Gauss's law, I've said that if the net flux through a closed surface isn't zero, there must be a "source" or a "sink" for field lines. In this sense, the field lines really do appear out of one and disappear into the other. I don't think I would choose that imagery for batteries and resistors.