Re: [Phys-L] maglev

On 2014, Apr 01, , at 14:24, Bill Norwood <bnorwood111@gmail.com> wrote:

-In the old demo one swings a disc of aluminum thru a U magnet and sees
considerable damping because of the eddy currents.
-But there would have been no damping with a superconducting disc, right?
-So, if the resistivity of the iron were less than that of the aluminum,
would this lead to less damping if an iron disc were used? There would
still be eddy currents in the iron, right?

Curiously iron wires are (were) used in the old HV transformers using an interrupter***. (Ruhmkorff and auto spark) Not so modern ones use sheets (laminates?) to reduce Foucault loss. Modern ones use toroids. and high frequency. (DC => DC)

Instead of waiting for JD, I’ll “stab”.

Meisner applies to all supers?

And it’s a balance between skin and conductivity. Bill: cheque this by cooling the disk w/ LN2. Try different thicknesses and material including SS.

bc warned to not use too great a frequency, because of skin effect in the wave guide. (ESR, EPR — X-band) I think we settled on 17Hz.

*** To prevent Foucault currents, which cause energy losses, the iron core is made of a bundle of parallel iron wires, individually coated with shellac to insulate them electrically.

Induction coil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhmkorff_coil