Re: [Phys-L] I need big numbers crunching

On 2014, Mar 22, , at 13:22, Richard Tarara <rtarara@saintmarys.edu> wrote:

True Basic (now only for Windows) is actually a fast, compiled language that handles numbers quite well with all numerical variables being handled as 4 byte words. If that is sufficient, the Bronze version is very inexpensive and dead simple to use. I also recommend this as a good multi-level teaching/learning language since you can start with middle-school level programs but using the Silver or Gold versions and the supplied libraries get reasonably sophisticated. It is what I use for all my work.

http://www.truebasic.com/

rwt

I use TrueBasic It’s very slo because the bottle neck is writing the output to a file on my ~ 7 year old PwrBk (1.67 GHz clock, one CPU)
No noticeable improvement in compiling because of the bottle neck. Typical runs are w/ a STEP (loop) of 40k During which I enjoy coffee.

I’m numerically modeling a pendulum driven quasi-electromagnetically with quadratic dissipation. I intend to describe it in an article for the Horological Science newsletter.

It required a day of trials to apply the drive symmetrically about the equilibrium position for a short time. (incipient Alzheimer’s)

I keep the old (I’ve had two in-between my present one year old one) just for True Basic — Chipmunk appears too different.

bc