Re: [Phys-L] Will APS be the first major scientific institution to reject the global warming 'consensus'?

Gentlemen,

Have you noticed that the focus of this news item is on the disgusting way APA treated Hal Lewis and his colleagues when they requested re-visiting the APA position statement, and on the fact that APA now seems to implicitly recognize that it misbehaved and didn't follow its own process?

Have you noticed that I didn't express any opinion on AGW in this exchange except to note the style of a reaction on the list?

Like many, I don't think this list should engage in the AGW debate per se. But that doesn't mean that I will keep silent when members spuriously slap AGW skeptics (or religion, even as I am not religious) in mindless or derogatory terms. A more honorable response might have been to praise APA for realizing the harm it has done to its own reputation and for trying to correct it, while slapping the jingoistic way Breitbart is presenting this difficult situation.

Alternately, if someone thought that APA behaved properly in the Hal Lewis case, he could have said so and defended it. Or kept silent. But climbing on that tired pony and riding it again, even when we don't discuss ponies at all, is unacceptable.

Ze'ev