Re: [Phys-L] Will APS be the first major scientific institution to reject the global warming 'consensus'?

A contributor who will remain nameless wrote:

A classic propaganda response.

First, attack the credibility of the involved. Then, question the motives
of the source. Finally, just pooh pooh it.

Ahh, the intellectual purity of the brave defenders of received wisdom.

Incidentally, did those jingoistic warmers object when the American
Chemical Society or the American Physical Society subscribed to the
received wisdom of AGW and denounced them because "they are unqualified, so
clearly their opinion doesn't count"? Just wondering."

I suggest that that the nameless cited above should learn more about the
author of this piece at Bretitbart.com before building up a head of steam.
He brags that he is not a scientist and has no need to read the scientific
literature. In my opinion, he has written many scientific howlers.Here is a
start, but I'm not going to do your homework for you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Delingpole
http://www.desmogblog.com/james-delingpole

I just came back from the national meeting of the American Chemical Society
where the message was quite the opposite. A particularly important piece of
information came from the session on climate change; most of the speakers
thought that bio-sequestration of carbon was unlikely to succeed.

As I have written here in the past, we are on track to hit 900 ppmv CO2
equivalent within 40-50 years, much sooner than most of the scientific
community is aware of. This is the devastating RCP8.5 track (based on BAU,
which is inevitable given our current political situation).

Pretty clearly, we need to burn less carbon.

Best wishes,
Jim
P.S. I am a theoretical chemist and a physical chemist, so I belong to both
the ACS and APS.

--
James J. Diamond, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry