Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Sequence

Here's what works for me, after 25 years of teaching. For mechanics I
start with the basics -- motion (distance, velocity, acceleration,
graphing, etc.). I follow this with projectile motion as the equations are
similar. Next comes forces, arguably the hardest topic of the year (due to
finding net force, dealing with friction, etc.). To use F = ma, one must
first understand acceleration. This is followed by circular motion and
gravitation, which is essentially applied F = ma. Next are energy, and
then momentum. I do momentum after energy so we can calculate energy lost
in collisions.

So these six topics are nicely paired up. This takes me through January.
Rest of the year is heat, electricity, sound, and optics.

I know that some teachers do forces first as they explain motion. I think
Hewitt's book is like this. Well, you should be able to teach what you
like in any order you choose.

If possible, let us know what happens.

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:
Good day all!

Several teachers at my school have decided they want to teach forces
first in our ninth grade physics course.
I currently teach constant velocity, balanced forces, constant
acceleration, constant net force, energy and finally mechanical waves.
One teacher does motion then forces, and another does forces first, then
motion.

We are being told to show up with our arguments why we should follow a
certain sequence. All the headache of college teaching with none of the
joy it seems!
Anyone here have an opinion on sequence? I'd love to hear from you!

Jim Cibulka
Kirkwood high school