[Phys-L] ice on the great lakes

I colleague sent this to me today. Very interesting. Might be a good
teaching tool.

US National Weather Service Philadelphia/Mount Holly posted the attached
picture to their Facebook page this morning. Click the link below. Their
accompanying caption reads:

This visible satellite image was taken early this afternoon. Since there
was a lack of clouds, the ice cover can be seen very nicely on the eastern
Great Lakes. Notice the lack of ice cover on Lake Ontario, and this is due
to this lake being much deeper. In comparison, Lake Erie (much more
shallow) is completely ice covered with the exception of some well visible
cracks.

In the comments, there were a couple of interesting posts:

Also in this image, you can see two of the Finger Lakes in central New
York State that are not ice covered.

I assume the ice prevents lake effect snow?

that is correct. The ice cover will significantly cut down on the amount
of lake effect snow. The amount of ice cover on Lake Erie is why the lake
effect snow machine has been turned off.

www.facebook.com/US.NationalWeatherService.PHI.gov