Re: [Phys-L] Trick photography?

Here's a reference to the "actual vs. apparent" moon motion:
http://cseligman.com/text/sky/moonmotion.htm

-----Original Message----- From: Bob Sciamanda
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 12:45 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] Trick photography?

Thanks, John! I'm going to have to bone up on the "actual vs. apparent"
moon velocity. This distinction never occurred to me. Thanks for the info!
-Bob

-----Original Message----- From: John Mallinckrodt
Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2014 12:25 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org ; Bob Sciamanda

Because the human motion is completely natural and the Moon takes (125±1)
seconds to move its own diameter as it should, the movie certainly shows the
motions correctly. But equally obviously, the people don't move 100 times
as fast as the moon, its more like a factor of 3 or 4. It took me awhile,
but I finally realized that your mistake was in using the moon's "actual
velocity" (3356 ft/s) rather than it's "apparent velocity" (87,000 ft/s).
remember that the moon *apparently* goes once around its orbit in about 25
hours.

With that correction we get u/U = 4

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona