From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of brian
whatcott
Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 11:07 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] From a Math Prof (physics BS major) at my institution (
math challenge)

On 2/18/2014 9:46 AM, Rauber, Joel wrote:
The second list was the random list. As noted, one cannot prove which one
was the random list, you can only make a probabilistic guess.
/snip/the Math Prof. told me that the probability of consecutive numbers
appearing on a truly random list is 48%, much higher than most people would
guess.

I attempted to confirm the expectation of at least two consecutive numbers
in a 21,5 set, like this:

There are 34 couplets of two consecutive numbers in the range 1..35 The
combinations of any 2 numbers in 35 are 595 It follows that the chance of at
least one consecutive couplet in a row is 34 in 595 and the chance of no
consecutive couplet in a row is 561 in 595.
It follows that the chance of no consecutive couplet in 21 rows is 0.29, and
the chance of at least one consecutive couplet in a
21 row set is 71%

Unfortunately, this does not agree with Joel's input which was 48%, so I
expect that I slipped. But where?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK