Re: [Phys-L] zero-point motion at the introductory level

  In the wake of illuminating discussion on Feb. 18, I want to discuss the following example illustrating, in my view, the subtleties of the zero-point motion. I would call this example "There is no motion in de Broglie's wave".
  Consider the celebrated QM state - de Broglie's wave  A exp(kx-(omega)t). It does not describe any motion in the classical sense.  To be specific, suppose that vector k is pointing from Earth to Andromeda Nebulae. Does not it indicate the particle's motion toward Andromeda? As far as we stick with the initial state with definite k, the answer is no. Suppose we perform a position measurement on a pure ensemble of such particles at two different moments of time. The second measurement will not (and cannot) show the average x closer to Andromeda than the first one, for a very simple reason: already the first measurement will show uniform distribution over the whole space with no definite position of the average. The second measurement will only show the same outcome. Formally - it is just an illustration of the well-known statement: "Definite momentum - indefinite position". Once an instant position is indefinite, the notion of velocity loses its
meaning. The other way to see it is to notice that due to uniformity of Minkowski space, any displacement in x will only cause the phase shift of the initial state, but this state is invariant with respect to phase transformation. In this respect, QM separated momentum from velocity.
  There arises a very reasonable question: what is then the meaning of "momentum"? My answer is: Direction of k is a potentiality - it shows the potential direction of motion of a wave packet if we add to the same particle at least one new state with the same direction (but different magnitude) of k. That will take the initial stationary state to superposition with different (omega), thus bringing in the motion into the system, with the suitable name - group velocity v=(delta omega)/(delta) t. This is a directly measurable observable.
  Classically, momentum is a specific characteristic of directed motion. But according to QM, their actual relationship is much more subtle. Specifically, definite non-zero momentum implies no motion, and actual motion implies some indeterminacy of momentum. Our classical concept of particle's motion originates from dealing with wave packets (albeit we had not known this before), and it takes a highly idealized model of de Broglie's wave to see the limits where we cannot extend this concept, or must do it very carefully.

Moses Fayngold,
NJIT