Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: heat content

On 02/16/2014 06:03 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I always heard that at absolute zero, molecules have minimum (not zero)
motion. However, there is misinformation about this online. So what
happens at 0 K -- do molecules have motion or not?

Absolutely they do have motion, even at absolute zero.

The fact that a hydrogen atom has nonzero size is most
easily explained in terms of the zero-point motion of
the electron.

I strongly recommend the following exercise: you can
estimate the Bohr radius using little more than dimensional
analysis plus electrostatics plus the most basic quantum
mechanical idea, namely p = ℏ k. Treat the atom as a
particle in a box.
KE = p^2 / 2m for a particle in a box of size 2 a0
PE = − qq / r for a separation r on the order of a0.

If this takes more than half a sheet of paper you're doing
it wrong.

Bottom line: If we didn't have any KE in the lowest
particle-in-a-box state we wouldn't have atoms. This
would be a bad thing. It is well known that atoms are
required to make physicists.

As another angle on the same idea: As I wrote in the
cryptography forum yesterday: There is no such thing
as purely zero-point fluctuations as distinct from purely
thermal fluctuations; those are just two asymptotes on
the *same* graph:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/oscillator.htm