Re: [Phys-L] heat content

On 02/12/2014 07:23 AM, Folkerts, Timothy J wrote:

So, do we think about these differently because we are comparing
* large vs small? (if so, at what size should we switch? What about
nanotechnology?)
* many vs few? (if so, how many is enough? What if I set up 10^4
pucks on an air table all connected by spring?)
* interacting vs non-interacting? (suppose I set up 1000 airtracks
with pairs of carts; does it matter conceptually if they are weakly
connected by springs vs each track moving on its own?)

Perhaps "thermal energy" is simply "potential energy and kinetic
energy of objects that I am too lazy to deal with on an individual
basis". :-/

That last suggestion is pretty close to the mark. I would
suggest only a slight refinement: Thermodynamics makes statistical
predictions about the ensemble. This is /sometimes/ the only way
to deal with the situation ... but not necessarily. There are
some very interesting situations where you can do the molecular
dynamics -- dealing with things on an individual basis -- *and*
also do the statistical analysis, leveraging each approach against
the other.

In particular: It is /not/ safe to assume that the "internal"
degrees of freedom of a given particle are "thermal" while
the "external" degrees of freedom are "non-thermal". If you
had thought of this 110 years ago, you could have written a
really nifty paper:

"Über die von der molekularkinetischen Theorie der Wärme
geforderte Bewegung von in ruhenden
Flüssigkeiten suspendierten Teilchen"

Annalen der Physik 322 (8): 549–560.
http://www.physik.uni-augsburg.de/theo1/hanggi/History/Einstein1906BMII.pdf