From: Phys-l [mailto:phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2014 5:56 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] heat content

On 02/10/2014 03:18 PM, Jeffrey Schnick wrote:
I don't think you have to restrict the work term to zero to talk about
increasing the thermal energy.

I disagree. This is not a matter of opinion; The math backs up what I'm
saying. See below.

In terms of your example of the
baby bottle, with some water in it, standing at rest on a table, if
you tilt the nipple over by pushing the tip of it to one side without
changing the orientation of the rigid part of the baby bottle you
increase the elastic energy of the system,

That's not a P dV term within the usual meaning. Please let's keep things
connected to

dE = - P dV + T dS [1]