Re: [Phys-L] abstractions

On 2014, Feb 08, , at 14:18, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

My explanation for the observations is that students have
been trained for years that independent thought, reasoning,
and creativity are not permitted on school grounds.

Meanwhile, the same kids use all sorts of creativity,
abstraction, symbolism, and imagination outside of class.

Back in (ca 1967) A new prof arrived in Santa Barbara from Los Alamos. At an off campus church discussion and teats mtng. he complained about how excited kids (elementary) were in school, and by HS they were ho hum and uninterested. He said just what JD wrote above. I was disappointed when he disappeared. One of the profs who’d lured him to SB said he missed the skiing and had returned.

bc