Re: [Phys-L] Garth Paltridge: Climate Change's Inherent Uncertainties

Throwing this kind of garbage around as though it was the 'gospel truth' is every bit as bad as pretending global warming doesn't exist at all. This is one model (amongst dozens) and clearly a worst case scenario. If there were even a 10% chance of this outcome, the international scientific and governmental responses would be shouting VERY loudly for immediate and drastic action. The IPCC range of possible 2100 outcomes are much more modest here.

Even a concerted world-wide effort to reduce carbon emissions will take 50-100 years if we are not going to just 'turn off the switch'. Phasing out fossil fuels still requires large fossil supplies for decades to come and better for a nation like the U.S. to have secure, domestic (count Canada and Mexico in as domestic) supplies. Those who hold that the Iraq conflicts were mostly about oil should examine the consequences of not securing the levels of domestic supplies that will be needed EVEN in an accelerated program of fossil reductions.

Bottom line really is that there is no guarantee that we can ramp up wind and solar to the level needed to run the world without fossil fuels even with maximal efficiency and considerably more conservation folded in--at least not to a level providing 21st century living standards and a 9-10 trillion population.

rwt